21 Oct 2015

A foggy road


It was a cold and wet morning. I fetched my winter coat, which had been stored away for some months, grabbed my bags and rushed to catch the bus.

As I took a bus seat, I sighed with relief. Trains ran frequently to the capitol. Everything would go smoothly, I thought. But I was wrong.The express train had just left when I arrived at the railway station. I would have to wait for another half an hour for the next one, which meant that I would be too late for my appointment. The only option left was to take the slow train and to go off a few stations before Bern. But I had one big problem; I had no idea how to get from there to my destination.

While my thoughts were running through my head, I suddenly felt God prompting me to trust Him. Once again I was reminded of the passage;

„Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths“. Proverbs 3:5-6

I decided to trust Him and hopped on the slow train. It stopped at almost every station and seemed to take forever. When it finally arrived, I went into the station building. I went to the ticket counter and asked the employee if there happened to be a bus that would take me to somewhere near the street I was going to. He smiled and assured me that busses go everywhere. But sometimes it is much easier just to walk.Then he came around the counter and opened up the door next to me. He pointed to show me the way. If I just went down the stairs, and walked straight ahead for about 5 minutes, I would come to the street I had asked for...... I was awestruck. This was the Lord`s doing! He had been leading me all the way.

I stood on top of the stairs for a moment and reflected over the past. Ten years ago I wouldn`t have known the path God was taking me. But He knew every step long before I was even born. And in His sovereign wisdom He had prepared something special for me.For everyone who belongs to Christ, can be assured of what scripture tells us;
„For we are His workmanship created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them“ Ephesians 2:10


I thought about the doors God had miraculously opened. But there were also doors He had closed. Sometimes I would stand hammering angrily at some of those closed doors not understanding why He wouldn`t open. Further along my path, He made me see why He had kept some of those doors closed. Behind those closed doors were things that could have harmed me. In His love and care He had kept His protection over me. I still didn`t understand all His ways. I never will, and I don`t need to either.

Now, as I stood there in the fog, I could only see very little of what was lying ahead of me. I wished I could see everything clearly. I always fight the temptation to be in control and to go my own way. But I knew I had to take my weak little hand in His strong hand, and let Him guide me. There was no other way than to simply trust Him and to rest assured that He, who began a good work in me, would bring it to completion (Philippians 1:6).

It was time to go. I was so exited!

No comments:

Post a Comment